First-Year Instruction and Outreach Librarian
Duties of the Position
The University Library is seeking a creative, dynamic and energetic individual to join our faculty. The First-Year Instruction and Outreach Librarian must be passionate about teaching freshmen, both inperson and online. The successful candidate will be inspired by user-centered library services and excited about outreach to student communities. As our science liaison, the person in this position must have a demonstrated interest in teaching students in the School of Science and Technology. We are looking for a team player with the ability to bring fresh ideas to the table as well as collaborate and build consensus. This position will provide a fun and challenging opportunity for the right person to explore a variety of directions for professional growth and development.
- Oversees and manages Library instruction for first-year students and teaches the majority of information literacy sessions for freshman composition classes as part of the SSU General Education program.
- Collaborates with the Library Instruction Coordinator in the assessment of first-year information literacy goals as part of holistic Library Instruction program planning.
- Collaborates with key partners in the English department, including the Coordinator of Freshman Composition, adjunct writing instructors, and TAs to plan curriculum and manage scheduling for first-year composition classes.
- Coordinates the Library’s outreach and orientation events for students (leads our participation in events like Seawolf Decision Day, Love Your Library for EOP students, Parents’ Day, etc.).
- Develops innovative programs to engage new student communities, e.g., freshmen cohorts, living/learning communities, and new transfer students.
- Designs instructional content in a variety of formats and for multiple platforms including Moodle (LMS), LibGuides, and the Web.
- Liaison to the School of Science and Technology: Responsible for instruction, outreach, and collection development for the School.
- Participates in the Library marketing team.
- Provides reference services and research help.
- As an active member of the Library faculty, contributes to a shared decision-making environment and serves on campus and Library committees.
To be recommended for appointment, candidates must have:
- MLS/MLIS/MIS degree or equivalent from an accredited academic institution.
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in instruction and outreach in an academic library.
- Demonstrated success teaching freshmen.
- Experience coordinating events.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Experience designing instructional content in a variety of formats.
- Experience with Learning Management systems, preferably Moodle.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to fulfill the scholarly and service expectations of a tenure-track position.
- Ability to communicate with and relate to an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community
- Academic background in the sciences or professional experience as a science librarian.
- Experience with assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) as an outreach platform for academic libraries.
- Experience with graphic design software, video creation and other multimedia tools.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Record of scholarly achievement.
- Ability to flourish in a rapidly changing environment.
Rank and Salary
Senior Assistant Librarian ($57,084 - $72,132). Salaries are for a 12-month position and are competitive based on qualifications. Actual hiring salary within this range is dependent upon educational preparation and experience.
How to Apply
Please submit (in electronic format only):
- Letter of Application
- Complete and current Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information, including email addresses, for three references
- Unofficial graduate transcripts (Official transcripts are required at the time of hire)
Please email all application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com and received by Friday, October 18, 2013.
Questions concerning this position may be directed to:
- Felicia Palsson, Chair, Search Committee
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (707) 664-2951
Questions concerning your application materials may be directed to: email@example.com.
103643 - PLEASE REFER TO THIS NUMBER ON ALL CORRESPONDENCE AND INQUIRIES REGARDING THIS POSITION.
Sonoma State is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.