You are here

Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Pan-Pacific Expo


The University Library's Special Collections is celebrating the Pan-Pacific International Expo! The Panama-Pacific International Expo was a world's fair held in San Francisco from February 20 to December 4, 1915. Slated as a celebration of the recently completed Panama Canal, the expo also revitalized a city that had been devastated nine years earlier by the earthquake and fire of 1906. The expo was held at the north end of the city, on 635 acres now known as the Marina District. The fairgrounds stretched from Van Ness to Presidio, with Chestnut Street as the southern border and the bay to the north. The fair boasted attractions such as the Tower of Jewels, a 43-story building covered in dangling pieces of colored glass designed to shimmer in the light; the Liberty Bell on loan from Philadelphia; the opportunity to take a biplane ride over the bay; and the Palace of Fine Arts, which remains standing to this day. The University Library's Special Collections holds many works on the expo, covering topics such as history, architecture, and the arts. Visit the Library's 3rd floor to see some of the material on display, or make an appointment with Special Collections to view the materials up close.