The University Library will be closed Thursday and Friday, November 27 and 28, for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Borrowing and Renewing
Students, staff, and faculty can check out up to 75 items at any one time, 8 of which can be media items.
If you're not a student, faculty, or staff member of Sonoma State University, please visit our Information for Visitors page. If you're a Distance Learner, please find out more about services specifically for you at our Information for Distance Learners page.
You can renew materials once via My Library Account or visit the Information/Check-Out Desk. Renewals cannot be made by phone or email.
(faculty - 1 semester)
|Reserves (Print & Media)||2 hrs||N||
|Link+ Books||21 days||Y
14-day renewal usually available
|Popular Reading||28 days||Y||
|Circulating Regional Books||7 days||Y||
|Study room keys||2 hours||N||
- There are Book Drop locations at the Information/Check-Out Desk, outside the first floor entrance, and outside the second floor entrance.
- Return Reserves to the Information/Check-Out Desk or outside the second floor entrance.
- Materials returned after the Library is closed will be checked in the following day.
Holds and Recalls
Holds may be placed on items that are check out.
- In the Library catalog, click on the "Place a Hold" button in the top menu on the page for the item you want.
- Log into your Library Account.
- When the item is returned, you'll receive an email. Materials will be held for you at the Information/Check-Out Desk.
- SSU students, faculty, and staff should request items through Link+ instead of placing a hold in order to get items faster.
You can recall an item checked out by another person.
- Items that you check out from the Library are subject to recall if they are needed by another patron or for Reserve. The recall date replaces the original due date.
- Faculty and Classified Graduate Students with semester-long privileges must return recalled books within 28 days.
- If an item you have checked out is recalled, return material immediately to avoid fines.
- Recall notices will be sent to your email address.
- Overdue notices are a courtesy only. Notices are sent to your email address. Check your Library Account for due dates.
- A replacement fee is added to long-overdue items. If an item is not lost return it to have the fee reduced.
- Library and campus privileges are restricted when over $10 in fines is accrued. Visited the Information/Check-Out Desk to pay fines.
- Questions? Contact Jack Ritchie for Print (707-664-2562) and John Muller for Multimedia (707-664-2590).
Lost or Damaged Materials
Lost or damaged materials result in a fee and restricted Library services. You may pay a replacement fee or replace the item yourself. Library services will be restored once the item has been replaced and/or the fee is paid. Please see our ILL/Link+ page for more information about lost or damaged materials from other Libraries.
If you choose to pay a replacement fee:
- Replacement fees vary depending on format and availability of the item. Generally, books cost $50 to replace. Circulation staff can advise you.
- You will also be charged a processing fee of $10.
- Visit theInformation/Check-Out Desk to pay with cash or a check made out to SSU.
If you choose to replace the item yourself:
- Before purchasing a replacement you must contact the Collection Development Librarian, Paula Hammett at 707-664-3912 (email@example.com).
- New hardback books are preferred. We also accept paperbacks and used books in excellent condition with no missing pages, highlighting, stains, mildewing, or mold. Replacement books must be in new or like-new condition.
- We do not accept used copies of videos and DVDs. Exceptions are made only for rare items.
- Suggestions for locating hard-to-find books and multimedia:
- You must replace the item within three months of billing.
- Bring replacement material to the Information/Check-Out Desk and pay the $10 processing fee with cash or check made out to SSU.
- After the Collection Development Librarian has approved your replacement and you have paid all Library feeds, your Library services will be restored.