Borrowing from Other Libraries
If you need an item that we don't have, you can often access it from another Library through Interlibrary Loan or Link+.
How do I make requests?
Different types of materials should be requested through different services.
|Books and Media||Link+|
Search the Link+ catalog for books we don't have here and place your request online. Books usually arrive within two business days and you can pick them up at the Information/Check-out Desk
If you can't find an article in our collection, request the article through Interlibrary Loan. Most articles will be available within 24 hours, with some exceptions for rare articles.
|Book Chapters||Interlibrary Loan
Book chapters can be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Most chapters will be available within 24 hours, with some exceptions for rare books.
|Dissertations||Dissertations & Theses (ProQuest)
We have instant online access to nearly 2 million dissertations and theses through this ProQuest database.
Need to find something today?
You might be able to find items needed immediately through other Sonoma County libraries.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Interlibrary Loan? Link+?
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) provides access to articles, books, and dissertations from Libraries around the world when those items aren't available at SSU.
- Link+ provides access to books only from one of our partner Libraries when those items aren't available at SSU.
Who is eligible for Interlibrary Loan and Link+?
- SSU students, faculty, and staff are eligible. Community borrowers and SSU alumni should find out about interlibrary loan options from their local public library.
How do I get an item from another Library?
- You can request interlibrary loan item by clicking on the Find it button when you're searching Library resources. If we don't have it, you'll see a link to request the item through interlibrary loan. If you already have a citation for an item you know we don't have, you can fill out the request form in your ILL account. You'll need to set up an ILL account the first time you request an item.
- If you're searching in the Library catalog and can't find what you want, you can click the "Repeat in Link+" button at the top of the page. You can also search Link+ directly.
How long does it take?
- The length of time it takes to get an item from another library can range from 1-10 days. Most articles will be received through ILL within 24 hours, and most books will be received through Link+ within 2 days. Rare materials can often take longer to receive.
How long can I keep items?
- Articles received electronically through ILL are yours to keep; however, they won't be stored permanently in your account, so be sure to download the article to your own storage device.
- Books from Link+ can be checked out for 21 days with the option to renew for an additional 21 days. These items will appear in your Library Account and can be renewed there. If your Link+ books are due during school breaks you must renew them or return them before leaving for break to avoid fines.
- Lending times for books from Interlibrary Loan are determined by the lending library. Renewal of these books is also at the discretion of the lending library. These items will appear in your Interlibrary Loan account.
Where do I pick up my items?
- Items will be held for pickup at the Information/Check-Out Desk for 10 days.
- A pickup notification will be sent to your SSU email address.
- Article received from ILL will be available digitally through your ILL account.
- Pick Up Anywhere: Link+ allows you to place a request as an SSU patron but designate a different Link+ Library as the pick up location. This is an item-by-item option. Books borrowed through Pick Up Anywhere can be returned to any Link+ Library, but due dates, overdue fines, and replacement costs may apply.
- Visiting Patron Option: If you visit another Link+ Library and find an item you'd like to borrow, you may do so directly at the Information/Check-Out Desk of that Library. Items borrowed as a Visiting Patron may be returned to the lending Library or to the Sonoma State University Library.
How much does it cost? What are the fines?
- Though we provide ILL services to SSU patrons at no charge, the cost to us can range from about $20 to $50. Please request only those materials necessary for your research, retrieve items promptly after being notified that they're here, and return them on or before their due dates.
- The overdue fine for Link+ items is $1 per item per day.
- The replacement cost for a lost or damaged Link+ books is $115.
- Items returned in damaged condition are assessed a $115 fine.
Can I cancel my request?
- To cancel a Link+ request, log into My Library Account and click on "Holds."
- If an item still has a "Requested" status it can be canceled.
- If a request can't be satisfied by Link+ or Interlibrary Loan you'll receive an email notification and the request will be removed from your record. You can view your cancelled ILL requests in your Interlibrary Loan account.
Still have questions?
Feel free to contact us:
- Phone: 707-664-2866
- Email: email@example.com
- FAX: 707-664-4095
- Our OCLC code: CSO
Interlibrary Loan Department
Sonoma State University Library
Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609