The Library provides online access to 100+ databases, over 30,000 online full-text journals, over 125,000 e-books and streaming videos, and even print materials to our Distance Education students. We also offer online research help services, and tutorials to help you through the research process.
Who qualifies as a Distance Learner?
In order to use our services for Distance Learners, you must be registered in an officially-designated "Distance Education" program:
- CSU Long Beach's Masters in Social Work joint program
- Educational Leadership Doctoral program
- Liberal Studies Ukiah program
If you are currently enrolled in a distance education program at another campus of the California State University (CSU) you may check out books at Sonoma State with your current library card or campus ID. You must have a CSU campus ID or library card that indicates you are registered for the current term in order to be eligible for services from the Library.
If you are a student in a distance education program at an institution that is not part of the CSU system, we are unable to offer you library services. Please check with your home institution to see what library services they offer.
How do I get off-campus access?
You will need:
- A valid Seawolf ID
If you don't have a valid Seawolf ID (or don't know if you have one), contact the IT Tech Help desk at 707-664-4357.
Search the Library's resources from the Library homepage, and enter your Seawolf ID and password if prompted. You will have access to our full-text resources, including e-books, streaming video, and e-journals.
Need something in print?
If you live near a participating Link+ Library you can use a specialized Link+ service called Pick up Anywhere. When you make a request using Link+, you can set the Pickup Institution to the Library that is closest to you. Don't forget to indicate that you are affiliated with Sonoma State University.
How do I get research help?
Research Help is available via:
- Email—usually within 24 hours
- 24/7 Chat Help—Chat real-time with a librarian or library assistant.
- 707-664-2375—You'll get immediate assistance during Library open hours.
- Tutorials on using our resources and research techniques.
Additional Services for CANDEL Students
We can mail SSU Library books and material borrowed from other libraries to your home address (not PO box) via UPS. This service is usually free; if there is a charge we will notify you.
- Register for Interlibrary Loan
- You must use a .edu email address
- Specify Doctoral as your status, and not just "distance education"
- Fill out an ILL request for each item or follow the Find It link from search results.
- Provide the name CANDEL and your mailing address in the "Special Instructions" box
- Make sure your .edu email is correct
- Provide as complete and accurate a citation as possible
- Books will be mailed to you via UPS with a prepaid return label. If you lose the label, you are responsible for return costs via UPS.
- To return the book, package it, apply the return label, and deposit it in an official UPS drop box.
- SSU books are due in 28 days or at the end of the semester. Due dates vary for books from other libraries. The due date is indicated on each item. Distance students are not exempt from overdue fines.
- Articles that aren't available online will be mailed to you via US Mail. Your Library account will be charged $0.10 per page. You must keep your balance below $10.00.
- You can renew SSU books one time through your Library account.
- Renew books belonging to other Libraries through your Interlibrary Loan account.